StevoTrip2006
Saturday, October 14, 2006

A Day in the Life of Paris
After very briefly returning to London, my next stop was Paris, where I was from Saturday to Tuesday last week. It's hard to know where to start with Paris, because the whole place was so amazing and because I did so much in the few days I was there. So to warm up for a more detailed account of the highlights, I thought I might just post a few slice-of-life videos, once again hosted by the good people at the dubiously named DailyMotion. I realise some of you probably can't open these, but they do give a good feel for the place. That said, don't expect anything mind blowing in these. They're just example of what it's like to walk around on the streets. All are from the Sunday, my first full day in Paris.

Place Dauphine

This is mid-morning, when I went on a walk from my hotel near the Eiffel Tower, across to Notre Dame and the two Islands (Ile-de-la-Cite and Ile St-Louis) that are at the heart of old Paris. Place Dauphine is a small square at the western end of the former island, but despite its centrality is probably the most peaceful place I found in Paris.



I did the classic Parisian thing and had a coffee on the table out the front of a cafe facing the square.

Place Dauphine Coffee


Mmmm... pretentious...

Pont St-Louis
This is maybe a bit after noon, after I had been to Notre Dame. This view is of the rear of Notre-Dame, and then pans across to the Pont St-Louis, the small bridge that links the two islands.



View from the Arc De Triomphe
A brief view of the insane traffic around the Arc de Triomphe, late-ish on Sunday afternoon. If I had been more persistent I could have gotten a much better example of how bad it is than this, but this should serve as a reasonable demonstration. Tim later explained to me the road rule at play here: traffic already on the roundabout has to give way to traffic entering it. Madness.



Parc Du Champ de Mars
This is the park in which the Eiffel Tower stands. This was in the afternoon afternoon, maybe about five o'clock, as I came back to my hotel.



Given I also went to the Louvre this day, I'm a little surprised that I managed this all in one day. No wonder I slept so well in Paris.

Back to Main Page


Because a holiday doesn't actually happen if you don't spend it in internet cafes describing it to other people.


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called Paris, 2006. Make your own badge here.